Research scientists / postdoctoral researchers:
Vanessa is a Research Officer currently working on both a serology test for Buruli Ulcerans and on the novel drug delivery system aimed at cancer chemotherapy. Van initially joined the team in 2009 in which she contributed to the intellectual property on both TB detection and Cancer prodrug therapy. After an enjoyable maternity leave, she has returned part-time to help drive both projects forward and provide grant and research support.
2010 – Entry certificate in welsh second level: The use of welsh, Bangor University
2008 – MS.c (Distinction): Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, SA
2006 – BS.c (Hons) with Distinction: Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, SA
2005 – BS.c Biochemistry (Distinction)
• V. V. Gwenin, P. Paramasivan, J. Halliwell, P. Ball, G. Robinson, C. D. Gwenin, (2015). Identification of novel nitroreductases from Bacillus cereus and their interaction with the CB1954 prodrug, Biochem Pharmacol, 98, 392-402. DOI: 10.1016/j.bcp.2015.09.01
• V. V. Gwenin, C. D. Gwenin, and M. Kalaji, (2011), Colloidal Gold Modified with a Genetically Engineered Nitroreductase: Toward a Novel Enzyme Delivery System for Cancer Prodrug Therapy, Langmuir, 27: 14300-14307. DOI: 10.1021/la202951p
• M. Beukes, Y. Lemmer, M. Deysel, J. R. Al Dulayymi, M. S. Baird, G. Koza, M. M. Iglesias, R. R. Rowles, C. Theunissen, J. Grooten, G. Toschi, V. V. Roberts, L. Pilcher, S. Van Wyngaardt, N. Mathebula, M. Balogun, A. C. Stoltz, J. A. Verschoor, (2010), Structure–function relationships of the antigenicity of mycolic acids in tuberculosis patients, Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 163: 800-808.
• Y. Benadie, M. Deysel, , G. S. Siko, V. V. Roberts, S. van Wyngaardt, S. T. Thanyani, G. Sekanka, A. M. C. Ten Bokum, L. A. Pilcher, J. Grooten, M. S. Baird, J. A. Verschoor, (2008), Cholesteroid Nature of Free Mycolic Acids from M. tuberculosis, Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 152: 95-103.
• S. T. Thanyani, V. V. Roberts, D. G. R. Siko, P. Vrey, J. A. Verschoor, (2008), A novel application of affinity biosensor technology to detect antibodies to mycolic acid in tuberculosis patients, Journal of Immunological Methods, 332: 1-72.
• Kit and method – Publication No. WO 2016/024116 A1
• Compositions and Methods – Publication No. WO 2016/024118
• Drug activation carrier, WO2011026898-A2; WO 2011/026898-A3; EP2473197-A2; US 2012/232328-A1
• Method for determining the presence or absence of a biomarker – Publication No. WO 2012/153111 A1
School of Chemistry, Bangor University, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2UW, UK
Direct Line: 0044 1248 383741 email: email@example.com